So much to be learned from hunks. What hand of fate makes one hollow-cheeked pin-up into a poster child for regret, the other for self-actualization? James Franco is the hunk we want to be, Robert Pattinson the hunk we fear we are.
Spare me the debate about whether or not these men are hunks, for hunk is a state of being as much as it is a subjective interpretation of appearance. They are hunks because we have made them hunks. Everything else is what they have made themselves.
Franco uses his hunkiness, if not for good, at least for some kind of gentleman hobbyist agenda, a casual, try-anything approach to existing (see above: that is how you wear a sleazy moustache with conviction). Not without its missteps, but always entertaining, and a little baffling; every line on his resume looks like a whim. If someone will let you have like ten Master’s degrees and a role on a soap opera I guess you’re a chump not to. Who wants to guess his next career move? My money is on directing a horror film.
R-Pattz is a prisoner of his hunkiness, too ill at ease in his overwhelming celebrity to enjoy it (and who can blame him? it seems genuinely awful). He seems as though he will never be comfortable enough with himself enough to take Franco’s inept renaissance man approach to life. Which is a shame. He should probably buy a cabin and grow a beard and live off the land, emerging only once his fan base has passed puberty, mostly because I’m tired of feeling sorry for the guy.
The lesson, as far as I can tell, is that if one cannot be the graceful hunk (Ryan Gosling, Jon Hamm), be the weird, unpredictable hunk. You’ll like yourself, even if no one else likes you.
- amelodie likes this
- mokin likes this
- kylie-forever likes this
- tellthebees likes this
- fatwasandfanboys likes this
- snickr likes this
- illogicalvolume reblogged this from tessastrain
- myeyecandyaddiction likes this
- isabelthespy likes this
- khealywu likes this
- wrestlingentropy likes this
- amikae likes this
- bisutun likes this
- lenorebeadsman likes this
- cheapnyloncurtains reblogged this from manicpixiedreamderp
- manicpixiedreamderp reblogged this from clickthefrog
- clickthefrog reblogged this from avocados-and-avocadonts
- clickthefrog likes this
- mootpoint likes this
- puppyghosts likes this
- avocados-and-avocadonts reblogged this from tessastrain and added:
- novazembla likes this
- aldrin likes this
- whineandbeer reblogged this from novazembla and added:
- whineandbeer likes this
- nerdshares likes this
- imathers likes this
- trangpak likes this
- mminto likes this
- ipomoeaj likes this
- awesome-everyday likes this
- novazembla reblogged this from tessastrain
- willstratton reblogged this from tessastrain
- reallykiwireally said: This is the piece about hunks that I never knew I always wanted to read.
- thirdculturekid likes this
- omnivorousminds likes this
- avocados-and-avocadonts likes this
- bwall05 likes this
- seauxphie likes this
- raptoravatar likes this
- perpetua likes this
- alisonagosti likes this
- liquidiousfleshbag said: Once you are cast in a movie where you have to eat through a uterus, you can’t be a happy guy like J. Franco. It’s a rule.
- tessastrain posted this